HE 7TH LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM – LDP
AUGUST 14th TO 17th 2014, MOMBASA
The AFED Capacity Building Group in partnership with the WF Capacity Building Group organized the 7th Leadership Development Program from the 14th to the 17th of August 2014 in Mombasa, Kenya.
A total of 25 participants, from Dar es Salaam, Mombasa and the UK attended the Program.
The aim of these programs is to develop leadership capacities across the Muslim communities in Africa by “unlocking their potential to serve the community and humanity” as well as to allow participants to realize their own leadership styles and to enhance and evolve their skills to ensure more productive and efficient working methods.
A trusting, supportive and confidential environment was created within the program to ensure full exploration and awareness of self and the current state of each individual participant in their leadership journey. Most important is to achieve personal growth without which any leadership organization becomes hollow.
The program was facilitated by Dr. Akber Mohammedali, Sis Maria Pattinson, Sis Shama Dewji and Br Shabbirhussein Khalfan. Each day would begin at 8 am and end at 6 pm except for Saturday evening which ended at 10 pm with an inspirational movie.
Various concepts were covered over the four days using processes to enhance the learning. Some of them were:
- Capacity vs Capability
- Authenticity, Respect vs Tolerance
- Faith in Action
- Understanding oneself by viewing Personal Temperament and Interaction Style in depth.
- Understanding and respecting the differences in others.
- Assessing Values in Self, Values in Relationships and Values in Community for Personal Growth.
- The Knowledge Paradox – different levels of self-knowledge
- Brainstorming Leadership Qualities
- Approaches to Learning, Development and Growth in the process of Facilitative Leadership
The program included a lot of interaction amongst the participants and with the facilitators, including role-play activities, discussions and reflective learning.
Other concepts that were dealt with, were:
- Power of Self and Visioning
- Various approaches to Power and Politics. What is the best approach towards Political Intelligence?
- Ways of increasing personal presence through communication styles
- Practicing Leadership through Team Activity
- Personal Development Planning – realizing natural talents and challenges to create a plan to developing strengths and new skills (acquired strengths, natural talents, converting challenges to new skills)
“The whole program was conducted in a very interactive way and it made everyone feel special. The role plays and activities helped in understanding the many aspects of the program. I really felt good with the personal touch and warmth by the facilitators.”
“What I liked the most were the reflection circles; they were a lot more insightful than expected.”
“The different methods of facilitation used. Each facilitator did an excellent job in relaying the subjects and topics we learnt”
“The whole 4 day journey has been a learning process for me. I have immensely learnt a lot of things about my personality. The facilitators were very co-operative. The best part was making friends and practicing the communication skills”
The closing ceremony was attended by the Mombasa Jamaat Officials, the Africa Federation Nominated Councillors, Africa Federation Trustee from Mombasa and Allumni of previous LDPs. The ceremony was held on Sunday the 17th of August from 4.30 pm to 6 pm. The participants showed the guests around, explaining what they learnt and experienced during the 4 day program through all that was posted up from the activities.
Coordinated and conducted by the LDP participants themselves, the presentation ceremony included testimonials, which manifested the breakthrough and enlightenment the participants experienced.
The AFED Capacity Building Group thanks the WF Capacity Building Group and the Mombasa Jamaat for all the time and energy they sacrificed in organizing, facilitating and hosting the 7thLeadership Development Program. Our appreciation to the participants as well, who took the time off in interest of their personal development to serve the community at large.