REF: EB/SH/04/18                                                           

NEWS 

STRONG INTEREST INVENTORY TEST AND CAREER COUNSELLING SESSIONS HELD IN NAIROBI (MARCH 2018)

SAAJ Nairobi with the support of the Education Board of the Africa Federation hosted a career guidance and counselling session for students and parents held from 9th – 10th March and 17th – 18th March, at the Jaffery Islamic Centre in Nairobi.

On the 9th and 10th of March, twenty-eight students, enrolled between Grade 9 to Grade 13 completed their Strong Interest Inventory ® Assessment – which included individual pre-counselling sessions for each student conducted by Mrs Shama Dewji, followed by an online assessment. This assessment is one of the world’s most respected and widely used career planning tools and provides robust insights into a student's career interests. It helps the students discover potential careers they may not have considered and gives them a wealth of information about how they approach the world of work.

On the 17th and 18th of March, individual sessions were conducted with each student and their parents, discussing the results of the Strong Interest Inventory ® Assessment and providing additional career guidance and counselling. Facilitated by Mrs Sajida Master, these sessions provided students and parents an opportunity to further discuss specific career issues in detail, and ask personalised questions about university placements and admissions. 

A talk and information session for parents only was held on Saturday 17th March, targeted towards helping parents guide, support and encourage their children in their career choices and decisions. Also facilitated by Mrs Sajida Master, this interactive talk and Q & A session was quite enlightening for the parents and provided them with valuable advice.

SAAJ Nairobi and the Education Board of the Africa Federation would like to express their utmost gratitude and appreciation to the career counsellors involved: Mrs Shama Dewji and Mrs Sajida Master – for their excellent sessions and the wonderful dedication and commitment they displayed. Haydari Madrasah - Nairobi and Nairobi Jaffery Academy provided remarkable support to ensure this event ran smoothly and both SAAJ Nairobi and the Education Board would like to express their sincere appreciation to them. In addition, we also extend our gratitude to the World Federation of the KSIMC for sponsoring the assessments.

STUDENT’S CORNER

SECOND YEAR SENECA STUDENT SHARES TIPS FOR FRESHERS

My name is Sayyedah Nanji from Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. Currently I’m at the second year of my course at Seneca College in Toronto, Canada heading towards majoring in Accounting and Finance. 

The First year is always not easy for a newcomer to a new country as the thought of home and moving away from a place where you are born and raised makes you homesick. It took a while to adjust. At the back of my mind, I always had the thought that I am here for a purpose and I need to fulfill and drive through it. 

The change in learning system and adapting to a heavier course load was also a challenge. However there are always ways of overcoming challenges and this was not an exception. I prepared myself to overcome this by trying to work even harder and stay on top of everything that happens in the class. Believing in myself made me sail through this e.g. not performing to the top in a single test never held me down; in fact it motivated me to do better in the next. 

These added to my success in the very first year finding myself in the presidents’ honor list. I also pride myself on having tremendous support from my family back home and my sister/brother in law whom I live with in Toronto. 

In summary, these 6 steps are critical for people to succeed in a new environment:

• Namaaz and strong faith
  • Clarity of your goals and vision
  • Support (For me it was from my family)
  • Know when to ask for help and do not hesitate to do so, BUT make your request for help clear and concise - in other words a general statement of “I need help” will not work. Better to be specific and say what is it that you need help in e.g. finance, Concentration, Study skills etc 
  • Resilience (Knowing that situation is temporary and you can)
  • Always remember to give yourself a break, don’t get so carried away by performing better that you forget to have some fun :) 

Sayyedah Nanji
Dar es Salaam Jamaat

EB Secretariat

Please bear with us while the Africa Federation Website undergoes some essential maintenance works.

afedDonateOnline

Join Our Mailing List

The Africa Federation is a member of The World Federation of KSIMC, an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the ECOSOC of the United Nations

© Africa Federation | Site By LMNO.co.uk | SiteMap | feed-image RSS