AFED Press Release
COMMEMORATION OF DAY OF ASHURA
The one for whom the day of A’shura is a day of tragedy, grief and weeping, Allah The Mighty, The Glorious, shall make the Day of Judgment, a day of joy and happiness for him.
Imam Reza (A.S.) – Bihar al-Anwar, vol: 44, pg: 284
A’adhamallahu ujurana wa ujurakum bi musaabina bil Hussain alayhis salaam
(May Allah make our reward and your reward great, for our grief for Hussain, peace be upon him).
The Day of Ashura – the day of the great martyrdom of Imam Hussain (AS) will be commemorated in Africa and most parts of the world, on Thursday, 14th November 2013, (10th of Muharram 1435 AH) according to the Islamic Lunar Calendar.
THE MISSION OF IMAM HUSSAIN (AS)
Imam Hussain (AS) mission was to reform the Muslim Ummah and save Islam as manifested clearly in his Will before he left Makah for Iraq – “Imam Hussain (A.S.) explains the mission of his sacrifice in his own words: “I have taken this stand not out of arrogance or pride, neither out of mischief or injustice. I have risen to seek reform in the community of my grandfather. I would like to bid good, forbid evil, and follow the tradition of my grandfather and my father ‘Ali bin Abi Talib.”
It is important to remember and publicize the tragedy event of Ashura, and expose the crimes and atrocities committed by despotic Yazid, son of Muawiya ibn Abi Sufyan the arch enemy of Islam towards Imam Hussain (AS), the grandson of the Holy Prophet of Islam, Hazrat Muhammad (SAWW) his family members and companions in the plains of Kerbala, Iraq in 61 AH (680 CE).
The commemoration of this great epic event (Ashura) must be kept alive by our community members wherever they are in the world. Aza-e-Sayyidu’sh Shuhada Imam Hussain (AS) should be the platform and impetus to raise awareness and rekindle Islamic Values and Tableegh whilst also sending out clear messages to expose the crimes committed by the Bani Ummayyah caliphs towards the Holy Imams, their progenies and towards the faithful followers of the Holy Prophet of Islam, Hazrat Muhammad (SAWW).
WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IMAM HUSSAIN (AS)
Thomas Carlyle Scottish Historian
“The best lesson which we get from the tragedy of Karbala is that Hussain and his companions were rigid believers in God. They illustrated that the numerical superiority does not count when it comes to the truth and the falsehood. The victory of Hussain, despite his minority, marvels me!”
Edward Gibbon – English historian and Member of Parliament
“In a distant age and climate the tragic scene of the death of Hussain will awaken the sympathy of the coldest reader.”
SALUTATIONS (EXTRACT FROM ZIYARATE ASHURA)
- Peace be on you, O Aba Abdillah!
- Peace be on you, O son of the Apostle of Allah!
- Peace be on you, O son of the commander of the faithfuls, the forebear of the successors!
- Peace be on you, O son of Fatimah, the choicest among the women of the worlds!
- Peace be on you, O the select, surpassing, chosen in preference over all good of Allah.
- Peace be on you, who was martyred while fighting heroically in the cause of Allah, the son of Allah’s fearless warrior, you were isolated and had been attacked with a vengeance!
- Peace be on you and on those souls who had gathered in your camp, and strided along with you, in your journey. I pray and invoke Allah to keep all of you tranquil and restful, forever; so far I am alive, this is my prayer, and till nights and days follow each other.
- O Aba Abdillah! unbearable is the sorrow, nerve-racking is the agony, you put up with, for us and for all the (true) Muslims, crimes committed against you also shocked and unnerved the dwellers of the heavens, one and all.
Let us pray to Allah (SWT) that He grants us all an opportunity to visit the Holy Shrine of Imam Hussain (AS) and the Shrines of the Holy progeny, and the faithful companions of the Holy Prophet and Ahlul Bayt (AS).
Let us pray for the safety and protection of the Shrines of the holy personalities which have come under attack in the recent times in Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia.
Let us all remember the oppressed people of the world wherever they are and pray for freedom from oppression, for their safety, peace and wellbeing.
12th November 2013 (8th Muharram 1435 AH)