Following his election in February 2016, the Chairman of the Federation of KSI Jamaats of Africa (AFED), Alhaj Shabir had the privilege to address Community members of K.S.I. Jamaat of Dar es Salaam on the eve of the Wiladat of Hazrat Abbas (A.S.) on Sunday, 30th April, 2017. The Imambargha was packed with momineen, ladies and gents. There were also three weddings, such features are quite common during the Khushali nights in Dar es Salaam. The majlis was recited eloquently by the visiting Aalim, Maulana Syed Muntazir Rizvi from India. Sheikh Murtadha Alidina, the Resident Aalim of Dar es Salaam Jamaat gave a brief biodata of Syed Muntazir Rizvi and he also explained the status of Qamar-e-Bani Hashim, Hazrat Abbas (A.S.) in the Banu Hashim, and his revered position in the Ahlulbayt (A.S.) – the progeny of the Holy Prophet of Islam (SAWW). He also spoke on the importance of celebrating the occasions such as Wiladat of esteemed personalities from the progency of the Prophet Muhammad (SAWW).
Shabir bhai conveyed greetings and best wishes to all the community members on the birth anniversary celebrations of Imam Hussain (A.S.), Hazrat Abbas (A.S.), Imam Ali Ibn Hussain Zainul Abideen (A.S.) and the forthcoming celebration of the birth of Imam-e-Zamana, Al Hujja, Al Mahdi (ATFS) on 15th of the blessed month of Shab’an.
Shabir bhai thanked Alhaj Azim Bhai Dewji, President of Dar es Salaam Jamaat for the introcution and warm welcome. He also welcomed the President of the World Federation, Dr. Asgharali Moledina and the President Elect of the World Federation Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi, a prominent member of Dar es Salaam Jamaat and the immediate past Chairman of the Africa Federation. Several other dignitaries from around the World who traveled to Dar es Salaam to attend the World Federation Triennial Conference were also present in the Imambargha.
Shabir bhai thanked Dar es Salaam Jamaat for hosting the WF Triennial Conference starting from 5th to 7th May 2017.
In his address, Shabir Bhai gave a brief report of some of the AFED Board’s activities and explained on several pertinent and important issues of our Community, in summary, following are the key points of his address.
* The importance of Women’s role in the Community and recognition of their invaluable contributions in the Community in general and in the Jamaats in particular. Women play crucial roles in the upbringing of families who become role models for offspring. Women play important roles to inculcate Islamic and family values in the children from very young age. In turn, this helps the families and the Community to prosper.
* He stressed on the importance of Higher Education for our children, especially girls whose future depends on their capabilities to sustain themselves in this competitive World, he stressed on modesty and simplicity. He pointed out that many students have found permanent livelihood abroad, and are taking active part in the jamaats and ogranizations of our Community, these are the seeds sown by Africa Federation to assist the students for higher education studies and in professional careers which is bearing good fruits, and strong roots for the future of the Community.
* He decried on the huge outstanding and overdue loans, especially by Dar es Salaam students who are defaulting in repaying their loans on time and the amounts as per the Agreement. Whilst appealing to the parents to honour the Agreements, he requested Dar es Salaam Jamaat to pursue this matter vigorously as the huge outstanding amount will affect adversely AFED Education Board in processing new applications from new students. He also pointed out that the income from ZAKMEF has also dropped in the past 3 years and there is a deficit accumulating of about US$200K to US$250K each year, which AFED need to raise from members of our Jamaats, particularly from Dar es Salaam.
* Shabir Bhai appealed to the community to remit their Hukuk through the centralized system of AFED, this can be made through the Jamaat or directly to Africa Federation. On this subject, he elaborated the importance of timely remittance of Hukuk and stressed that community must first look inwardly. For instance, he said, in our own Jamaats there are several projects and requirements which qualifies for the use of Hukuk, to this end, he emphasised that it is the duty of members to first fulfill our own needs and support our proejects.
* In regards to the current global economic downturn which has a knock-on effect on some of our community members, he spoke about diversity of our mindsets and focus into businesses and trade that are sustainable and prospering, for example service industry whereby its demand will always be there.
* Currently, Housing development is a major program of the Africa Federation, there is an ongoing project of Al Asghery Residency on Band/Libya Street in Dar es Salaam which is progressing smoothly. 18 flats will be allocated to members of Dar es Salaam Jamaat whose applications have been approved by the Allocation Committee formed jointly by Dsm Jamaat & AFED. More housing projects are also planned for Dar es Salaam jointly with the WF and Dsm Jamaat as the need for housing is quite big. He commended Alhaj Akil Hirji, the Chairman of the Economic & Housing Development Board of AFED and his Board members for their dedication.
Africa Federation since its establishment in 1946 have made great strides in the development of our Jamaats, Institutions and the Community at large, in the past 70 years AFED has undergone several major challenges, however with all the adversities, we have survived and futher more, we have thrived, thanks to our elders for their wisdom, peseverence and foresight.
By the grace and mercy of Allah (SWT) we are blessed with presence of our beloved and the Awaited Imam, Al Hujjah Al Mahdi (ATFS) and the goodwill of our Community members in Africa and also outside Africa. We have stood together firmly and have overcome many challenges in the past, we shall remain steadfast to face new challenges with our strong unity, Insha’allah.