Ref: AFED/PR/32/17 Date: September 22, 2017
The Shia Asna Asheri Jamaat (SAAJ) of Nairobi hosted successfully the Africa Federation 79th Supreme Council Session from 7th to 9th July 2017 at the Orchid Azure Hotel in Nairobi. The Session was attended by about 100 participants and invitees from Australia, DRC (Congo), Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar, Mozambique and Reunion.
PRESENTATION AND AWARDS
The Chairman, Alhaj Shabir Najafi bestowed ‘Husseini’ and ‘Fatemi’ Medals to the following two members of the Community in recognition of their dedication and honorary services to the community. Citations for each of the recipients were read out giving a brief chronicle of their outstanding achievements, dedication and significant contributions; they are:
- Alhaj Pyarali Shivji – Dar-es-Salaam: Husseini Medal
- Mrs. Raziya Merali – Mombasa: Fatemi Medal
Alhaj Pyarali Shivji was unable to attend the above ceremony due to doctor’s advice against travelling long distance. The Managing Committee Member of Dar es Salaam Jamaat, Alhaj Imtiaz Lalji received the Citation and the Medal on his behalf.
The Africa Federation Chairman also presented Appreciation Awards to the following for their services and contributions to Africa Federation:
- Shia Asna Asheri Jamaat Nairobi for hosting the 79th Supreme Council Session.
- Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamaat Kampala for the donation towards the AFED Higher Education Scheme.
- Alhaj Mustafa Khimji of Nairobi for his selfless services to the Community in the field of Medical in Nairobi, Kenya and for his services as a volunteer in the Rescue Missions of Yemeni community members in 2015 which was headed by Alhaj Sajjad Rashid of Mombasa, Kenya.
The following were declared Sportsperson of the year – 2016 by the Sports Council:
- Sportsman: Sajjad Abbas Sajan of Arusha (received by Arusha Jamaat Chairman)
- Sportswoman: Abida Hassanali of Dar-es-Salaam (received by Dsm Jamaat President)
The World Federation Immediate Past President, Alhaj Dr. Asgar Moledina presented Alhaj Shabir Najafi with a Citation for his dedicated services to the Community; this was read out by Br. Tehsin Takim.
Education Institutions Interaction Meeting
The Central Education Board of KSI Jamaat Dar-es-Salaam and the Nairobi Jaffery Education Board signed an MOU for Teacher’s exchange program between the two community education institutions. A short ceremony for the signing of the MoU was held during the 79th Supreme Council Session. A meeting between the Education Board of Africa Federation with respective Jamaats Education Board members / representatives was also held on Sunday 9th July 2017, at Jaffery Academic conference room.
SUPREME COUNCIL SESSION
The formal Session of the Supreme Council commenced on Friday 6th July at 4.00 p.m. and concluded on Sunday 9th July 2017 at 3.00 p.m.
The following personalities addressed the gathering during the Session:
- Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi – World Federation President
- Alhaj Shabir Najafi – AFED Chairman
- Alhaj Shakir Merali – Host Jamaat Chairman
- Alhaj Abbas Aly – Australia
Alhaj Sheikh Haniphe Akbaraly, Chairman of Conseil Régional Des Khojas Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamates De L.Océan Indien (CROI) and Alhaj Amine Nassor Chairman of the Union Des Associations Khodjas Shia Isnashri De La Reunion (UAKSIR) delivered their addresses and a brief report of the activities carried out by their respective Territorial Councils in Madagascar and Reunion Islands.
The format for presentation of the Boards was changed for this Session where the vision and plans for the coming year were presented and the details report of what was accomplished during the past year was circulated for information of the Councillors, the presentations by the Boards followed with Q & A and feedback from the Councillors and invited guests.
The Session Agenda included the following:
- Minutes of the 78th Supreme Council Session: Aunali Khalfan
- Secretariat Report: Hussein Karim
- Madagascar Territorial Council Report Sheikh Haniphe Akbaraly
- Reunion Territorial Council Report Amine Nassor
- Capacity Building Group (CBG): Mumtaz Ladak
- Archives Section: Alihassan Kassam
- Audited Accounts, Budgets & Trust Board Report: Mohamed Hemani
- Tabligh Board (AFTAB): Fazleabbas Chandoo
- Africa Youth Network (AYN): Sajjad Karamsi
- Women’s Board: Zaheeda Alishan
- Editorial Board: Munir & Mahjabeen Daya
- Education Board: Tehsin Takim
- Sports Council: Mohamedhussein Somji
- Central Health Board (CHB): Aunali Khalfan
- Central Bilal Board (CBB)/Regional Bilal Muslim Mohsin A. Lalji /Murtaza
Missions/Bagamoyo Hawza: Jaffer/Aliabbas Nasser
- Economic and Housing Development: Akil Hirji
- Project North Star (PNS)/ Media Team: Alihassan Kassam
The Following Jamaat Chairman/Representative presented the aspirations and challenges of their Jamaats in the current environment.
- Arusha Alhaj Amir Somji
- Bukoba Alhaj Shabbirhussein Khalfan
- Dar-es-Salaam Alhaj Azim Dewji
- Kampala Alhaj Mustafa Kanji
- Kinshasha Alhaj Saeed Vazir
- Nampula Alhaj Mohammed Ali Canani
- Nairobi Alhaj Shakir Merali
- Saint Denis Reunion Alhaj Azad Houssenaly
- Zanzibar Kuwwat Alhaj Akbar Hassanali
LAUNCH OF THE AFSAAJ HOUSING PROJECT IN NAIROBI
A small function to officially launch the SAAJ Housing Project in Nairobi was held at the Jaffery Islamic Centre Nairobi on Friday Night 7th July 2017. This is a joint housing venture between SAAJ and Africa Federation.
The Complex will consist of 48 apartments in Lavington area of Nairobi, just five minutes’ drive from the Jaffery Islamic Centre of Nairobi Jamaat.
Details of this Housing Project and the Scheme were explained by the AFED Chairman, Alhaj Shabir Najafi and the Chairman of Nairobi Jamaat (SAAJ), Alhaj Shakir Merali. This session attracted great interest and deliberation from the floor.
The Secretariat wishes to record its appreciation to Shia Asna Asheri Jamaat Nairobi (SAAJ), for hosting the Supreme Council Session, the Organizing Committee Chairman, Alhaj Mukhtar Assaria and Members of the Committee, the volunteers and all those who assisted in the successful organization of this Session.
To AFED Boards Chairmen and Board Members, we are very grateful for the wonderful work and for presentation of the annual reports and actively participating in the Sessions.
We wish to thank all the Councillors, AFED Trustees, Guests and Invitees for their attendance, participation and for their contributions in the deliberations during the Sessions.
Special thanks to Dr. Jaffer Dharsee for delivering Vote of Thanks on behalf of Africa Federation Secretariat and the photographer, Br. Shamil Shabbir Hameer. Our deep appreciation to Br. Shabbirhussein Khalfan of CBG Africa for translating the presentations and English speeches into Gujarati for the benefit of our Councillors from Madagascar and Reunion.