REF: EB/NL/34/22-23 DATE: 2nd August 2022
Career Guidance Session in Mombasa
Selecting the right career is not as simple as it looks. Research has shown that career planning programmes can positively impact academic performance leading to optimal education and career decisions.
KSI Education Board Mombasa with the support of the Education Board of the Africa Federation hosted a career guidance and counselling session for students and parents held from 25th February to 27th February 2022, in Mombasa.
A total of 28 SII assessments were conducted for students studying in year 10 to year 13. Strong Interest Inventory (SII) is one of the world’s most respected and widely used career planning tool that provides robust insights into a student’s career interests. It helps the students discover potential careers they may not have considered and gives them a wealth of information about how they approach the world of work.
After the online assessment, the students with their parents had a one to one session with Mrs. Sajida Master. Sajida Master (from Education board of Africa Federation,) is a certified career counsellor as well as Strong Interest Inventory practitioner. Doing her session with them, she was able to explain the entire report, and give them the clarity and understanding to make the right decisions towards their career path.
Many students and their parents expressed their appreciation with the sessions. In the feedback that was received regarding the strong Interest inventory some parents and student commented:
- This is a great initiative that gave my children some direction and I hope this can be done as on an annual basis which would help them to focus on a specific goals as they progress. Thank you for organising this and looking forward to more of such similar sessions.
- We found the sessions really helpful and informative. Before we were kind of lost and didn’t know how to go about it. However after talking with Sajida Bai we now have a direction to follow.
- As a student who was confused on what career path to follow, I feel after the sessions and test conducted by Sajida Aunty I now know what career path to follow and how I can group them based on my research. She was also very easy to communicate with, kind, jolly and would not mind even if I would ask 100 questions to her.
- It was an exclusive session where the assessment surveyed on my interests and strength. The talk was informative and thoroughly explained, my feedback was conquering with my responses for my career.
- Alhamdulillah My daughter did manage to get a clearer and better understanding of what she would like to pursue as a career and more important how to go about it. Really appreciate the time and effort the school put for our children and Thanks to Sajida Master for taking out time for our kids.
Along with the Strong Interest online assessment, an interactive session for the parents was conducted at the Jaffery Academy Mombasa where Mrs. Sajida Master discussed the parental role over their children’s career choice.
In her session Mrs. Sajida Master highlighted;
- Parents are one of their first role models for their children. They can instill a positive view of all kinds of work and career planning.
- Preparing your child for the world of work is a critical part of parenting – like a bird showing its offspring how to catch worms. Your efforts to help promote your child’s career exploration will be part of your legacy to him.
- The best way to begin career exploration is by using everyday conversations with your child to talk about your own career.
- Explore your children’s personal talents, strengths, likes and dislikes – without being judgmental
- It is crucial to build a thought process of lifelong learning.
This interactive talk and Q & A session were quite enlightening for the parents and provided them with valuable advice.
Education Board of Africa Federation provides the strong Interest Inventory free of charge to all community students. The board urges community students of different Jamaats to partake in the assessment to make their journey in choosing a career path clearer.
KSI Education Board Mombasa, & Education Board of Africa Federation would like to express their gratitude and appreciation to the career counsellor Mrs Sajida Master for her excellent sessions and the wonderful dedication and commitment.
KSI Education Board Mombasa & Education Board of the Africa Federation would like to express their sincere appreciation to Mombasa Jaffery Academy for providing remarkable support to ensure this event ran smoothly and to all the volunteers for their tireless efforts in ensuring the success of the programme.
Africa Federation Education Board