THE KHOJA SHIA ITHNA-ASHERI SUPREME COUNCIL
SPORTS COUNCIL BY – LAWS
Adopted at the meeting of the Sports Council held in Nairobi on Saturday 24th April 2004
The body shall be known as the Sports Council of the Federation of Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamaats of Africa (hereinafter referred to as the Sports Council) and shall function as a sub-committee of the Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Supreme Council (hereinafter referred to as the Supreme Council).
2. AIMS AND OBJECTS:
- To uphold and promote bond of kinship amongst youths of various constituent Jamaats.
- To oversee the organization of the Sports Festival of Jamaats.
- To promote sporting links between constituent Jamaats.
3. TERM OF OFFICE:
The term of office of the Sports Council shall be at the pleasure of the Chairman of the Supreme Council.
- Chairman – appointed by the Chairman of Supreme Council.
- Vice Chairman – nominated by the Chairman of Sports Council
- Secretary – nominated by the Chairman of Sports Council
- One representative nominated by the Chairman of Supreme Council as an ex-officio member.
- i) 2 members from Regional Council of Madagascar
ii) 1 member each from the rest of the Jamaats in Africa
5. DUTIES AND POWERS:
- To formulate policy guidelines in conformity with aims and objects set out herein.
- To decide the frequency of holding the Sports Festival which shall be held at least biennially.
- To ratify general games bye-laws governing tournaments and festival held under the Sports Council.
- To appoint sub-committee as and when required.
6. MEETING OF THE SPORTS COUNCIL:
The Sports Council shall meet as often as necessary but at least once a year.
The quorum for such a meeting shall be 5 members personally present at the meeting.
7. EXTRA-ORDINARY MEETING:
Upon receipt of a written request from 50% of the members and duly signed by them, the Hon Secretary shall convene an Extra-Ordinary meeting of the Sports Council for the purpose of deciding upon matters contained in the said request, giving one month’s notice not later than 7 days upon receipt of such a request.
8. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
a) It shall comprise of:-
- The Chairman of the Sports Council
- The Vice Chairman of the Sports Council
- The Hon Secretary of the Sports Council
- One representative nominated by the Chairman of the Supreme Council.
- The Immediate Past Chairman of the Sports Council
b) Powers and duties of this Committee shall be:-
- To oversee the implementation of policy matters established by the Supreme Council.
- To take any decision conducive to the proper functioning of the Sports Council provided, however, that any such decision taken shall be reported to and ratified a the next subsequent meeting of the Sports Council.
- To ratify games bye-laws as and when necessary.
c) It shall meet as often as necessary but not less than twice a year. The quorum at such meeting shall be three members.
d) The Executive Committee shall remain in office throughout the currency of the term of office of that Sports Council.
e) To appoint the selection committee for the sportsman of the year (Abul Fazl) each year.
- The Chairman of the Sports Council shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Supreme Council.
- The Chairman shall chair all the meetings of the Sports Council and Executive Committee. In his absence, the Vice Chairman and in the absence of both of them, meeting shall elect a member from amongst themselves to chair that meeting.
- The Chairman shall have power to nominate the Vice Chairman and Secretary of the Council, who both shall be an executive member of the Sports Council.
- The Chairman of the meeting shall have a casting as well as a deliberative vote and his ruling shall be final and binding.
10. AMENDMENT TO THE BY-LAWS:
Any addition, deletion, amendment to these By-Laws may be effected at a special meeting of the Sports Council, convened specifically for that purpose, by a majority at least 50% of those present and voting thereat provided that: –
- Notice of the meeting is given in writing at least one month prior of the date of the meeting and
- There are at least 50% of Sports Council members present at the said meeting.
GENERAL GAMES BY-LAWS GOVERNING TOURNAMENTS/FESTIVALS HELD UNDER THE SPORTS COUNCIL
The following general bye-laws shall govern any tournaments and festivals held under the banner of Sports Council: –
1. The Sports Council shall be free to invite any Jamaat outside the Federation of Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamaats of Africa for a sports festival or tournament provided such a Jamaat is affiliated to World Federation of the Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Communities.
2. The Sports Council may impose an entrance fees for teams participating in Sports Festival or tournaments.
3. The Sports Council shall allow only one team per town per game except for the host(s) who will be allowed two teams to take part in its tournaments or festivals provided that the team participating has the blessings of the Jamaat it is representing.
4. Any Shia Ithna-Asheri male shall be able to take part in the tournaments or festival organized by the Sports Council provided that:
- he is a bona-fide resident and members of Jamaat of the town he is representing;
- a student under the age of 18 years studying outside his town of residence shall be able to play for the town in which his parents are residing or in case not selected for the said town, he can play for the town where he is studying.
5. The host town shall make bye-laws of the various games they are hosting, according to prevalent local conditions and circulate at least one month prior to the date of the tournament to all the participating Jamaats for their perusal provided that: –
- The rules are not contrary to accepted international rules of the game or the bye-laws of the Sports Council;
- The rules made are approved by the Sports Council or the Executive Committee of the Sports Council prior to the tournament or festival.
6. The host town(s) shall form groups of umpires and referees, for the games they are hosting, and present, them to the Sports Council or the Executive Committee for its approval. Similarly, they shall appoint an awards committee, appointment of which shall be ratified by the Sports Council or Executive Committee prior to the commencement of the Tournament/Festival.
7. In the event of any dispute, the decision of the Sports Council shall be final and binding.