REPORT OF THE EYE CAMP
CONDUCTED AT CHENGONI, KENYA – SPONSORED BY
THE FEDERATION OF KSI JAMAATS OF AFRICA
The Eye Camp was conducted on Monday June 11, 2012 at Al Hujjah Centre, Chengoni by personnel from Kwale District Eye Centre (KDEC) sponsored and financed by The Federation of Khoja Shia Ithna Asheri Jamaats of Africa (AFED).
We are thankful to KDEC and the Bilal Muslim Mission of Kenya (BMMK) for their support and assistance in conducting the Camp.
The exercise began with prayers and address by Ustadh Ali Wando, the Muallim in-charge and was also graced by the Chief of the area.
A total of 205 people (118 females and 87 males) were examined of which 157 needed further screening. People came from far areas of Mwanguda, Kambale, Kitesi, Bofu, Kibaoni, Mgamani, Mwangea etc. villages to attend this free eye camp.
The exercises that were carried out at the camp:
- Test for sight abilities by reading from the alphabet reading chart.
- Identification of ailments one was suffering.
- 123 patients were given different kinds of eye drops for the treatment.
- 10 patients were provided with reading glasses with minute numbers who did not require undergoing detailed refraction test.
- 13 patients were selected for immediate cataract and glaucoma operations.
- Some patients were referred to Kwale Eye Centre for detailed refraction and need for numbered glasses.
- 4 patients were diagnosed for early cataracts, but not yet matured.
The Eye Camp was closely coordinated by Alhaj Sultan Molu, the AFED Trustee of Kenya in Mombasa.
We are very thankful to the following people and volunteers for participating and managing the Camp.
- Br. Bernard Shume
- Br. Abdul Khalfan
- Sis. Hadija Hamisi
- Br. Mohammed Chama
- Sis. Christine Nzambo
- Br. Tsuma Ngome
- Br. Mujtaba Peera
- Br. Ismail
- Br. Ahmedali