The 25th Triennial Conference and the 74th Supreme Council Session of the Federation of KSI Jamaats of Africa hosted by the KSI Jamaat of Dar-es-Salaam was held from 26th to 28th April 2013 at the Ladies Imambargha in Dar es Salaam.
The sessions were attended by over 120 participants from Madagascar, Reunion, constituent Jamaats from mainland Africa and from overseas institutions and invitees.
The Opening Ceremony on Friday night commenced with the recitation of verses from the Holy Qur’an by Br. Alihassan Kassam. The opening address was delivered by the Deputy Convenor of the Organizing Committee Br. Ali Chandoo, followed by welcome address by the President of Dar-es-Salaam Jamaat, Alhaj Shiraz Walji.
Alhaj Anwarali R. Dharamsi, who was re-elected unopposed as Chairman for the 2nd term of office; 2013-2016 was inducted, followed by the elections of the Vice Chairman at the Secretariat, the Hon. Treasurer and six Trustees of AFED.
The Africa Federation Chairman delivered his Keynote address to the gathering, this followed by a message from the President of the World Federation Alhaj Dr. Asgar Moledina, in his absence it was read out by Alhaj Shabir Najafi, the World Federation Executive Councillor and the AFED Vice Chairman. The Secretary General of the World Federation Alhaj Shan-e-Abbas Hassam then addressed the Conference. The representative from the Conseil Regional of Madagascar, Alhaj Hussein Meralli Bhalloo also delivered his address.
The Opening Night was also graced by the presence of the Ambassador of Islamic Republic of Iran Alhaj Mahdi Aga Ja’fari, the Dar es Salaam Jamaat Resident Aalim, Sheikh Murtadha Alidina, Ulemas and Scholars. Also present were the President of Reunion Association (UAKSIR) Alhaj Amine Nassor with his delegation of six members from the Reunion Jamaats, past AFED leaders, Jamaat elders, invitees, ladies and gents members of our community.
PRESENTATIONS AND AWARDS:
The Chairman, Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi bestowed Medals to five prominent members of the Community in recognition of their honorary and selfless services to the community and humanity at large. Citations for each of the recipients were read out giving a brief chronicle of their remarkable achievements, services and contributions. They are:
1. Alhaj Hassan Jaffer Mombasa Haydari Medal
2. Sheikh Dr. Murtadha Alidina Dar-es-Salaam Husseini Medal
3. Sheikh Fazleabbas Datoo Portsmouth (UK) Abbasi Medal
4. Professor Karim Manji Dar-es-Salaam Abbasi Medal
5. Alhaj Aasif Karim Nairobi Abbasi Medal
A milestone achievement by the Institutions of KSI Jamaat of Dar es Salaam managed by the Central Board of Education, whereby the Al Muntazir Schools and A3 Institute of Professional Studies were accredited by the International Standards for Quality ISO 9001:2008. Below is the symbolic handover of the Certificate by the Chairman of the Africa Federation, Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi presenting Alhaj Shiraz Walji, Chairman Dar es Salaam Jamaat, at the opening night of the 25th Triennial Conference.
The Chairman also acknowledged and appreciated the Jamaats that have played prominent roles in organizing events of the Africa Federation. They were presented with “Token of Appreciation” by the Federation, they are:
1. Mombasa Jamaat: For hosting the Ladies Sports Festival in April 2012
2. Arusha Jamaat: For hosting the 73rd Supreme Council Session in April 2012
3. Moshi Jamaat: For hosting the Tuwasiliane Golf Festival in February 2013
4. Arusha Jamaat: For hosting the Tuwasiliane Golf Festival in February 2013
5. Tanga Jamaat: For hosting the Tuwasiliane Football and Volleyball Festival in March 2013
6. Dar-es-Salaam Jamaat: For hosting the 25th Triennial Conference and 74th Supreme Council Session in April 2013.
SPORTSPERSONS OF THE YEAR 2012:
The following were selected and declared as Sportsman and Sportswoman for the year 2012:
Sportsman for the year: Mohamedraza Lalji of Arusha
Sportswoman for the year: Farial Raza of Arusha
The Conference Agenda included the presentation and adoption of the Accounts, Minutes, Resolutions and the Board Reports for the term.
The Conference approved the application for membership of the Union des Associations Khodjas Shia Isnashri de la Reunion (UAKSIR) and the proposed amendments to the Africa Federation Constitution were adopted to accommodate new membership of UAKSIR.
Following the adoption of the amendments to the Constitution, the Federation will now have three Vice Chairmen, the Vice Chairman at the Secretariat who shall be elected at the Conference. The other two Vice Chairmen shall be the President of the Conseil Régional Des KSI Jamates de L’océan Indien (Territorial Council of Madagascar) and the President of the Union des Associations Khodjas Shia Isnashri de la Reunion (Territorial Council of Reunion), the latter two would hold the posts of Vice Chairman of the Federation by virtue of their positions as Presidents of the Territorial Councils.
SECRETARIAT, ACCOUNTS, BUDGETS AND AFED BOARD’S PRESENTATIONS:
The Secretariat and the Boards made presentations of the reports for the term ended 2013; the power point presentations were brief and informative:
1. Secretariat and Economic Upliftment – Aunali Khalfan
2. The Conseil Regional of Madagascar – Hussein Bhalloo
3. Audited Accounts, Budgets and Trust Board Report – Mohamed Hemani
4. AFED Commercial Complex Project – Kumail Manji
5. Capacity Building Group (CBG) – Sameer Kermalli
6. Housing Development Board – Munawer Bharwani
7. Tabligh Board (AFTAB) – Seyed Hassan Naqvi
8. Women’s Board – Sister Fatim Somji
9. Sports Council – Mahmood Somji
10. Education Board (EB) and MAMAS – Samir Habib
11. Central Health Board (CHB) – Shabbir Kermalli/Dr. Kadhim Dhalla
12. Central Bilal Board (CBB) – Mohsin A. Lalji
13. Regional Bilal Muslim Missions – Mujtaba Peera/Mumtazhussein Alloo
14. Africa Youth Network (AYN) – Nishathussein Karim
15. Editorial Board – Munir Daya
ADOPTION OF THE RESOLUTIONS:
The following Resolutions were deliberated and adopted at the Conference:
1. Amendments to the Africa Federation Constitution to facilitate the Membership of Union des Associations Khodjas Shia Isnashri de la Reunion (UAKSIR).
2. Renewal of Resolution for Management of Property Portfolio for a further period of three years to the next Conference in 2016.
3. Ratification of Resolution Adopted at the 73rd Supreme Council Session on Income-Generating Capital Investment Loan.
The following were also presented and adopted at the Supreme Council Session:
1. The revised Terms of References of the Central Bilal Board (CBB)
2. The revised Constitution of the Bilal Muslim Mission of Tanzania (BMM T)
3. The proposed Marriage Contract, with some proposed amendments.
Chairman Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi
Vice Chairman at the Secretariat Alhaj Shabir Najafi
Vice Chairman from Madagascar Alhaj Navazaly Molu
Vice Chairman from Reunion Alhaj Amine Nassor
Honorary Treasurer Alhaj Mohamed Hemani
Honorary Secretary Alhaj Aunali Khalfan
Honorary Assistant Secretary Alhaj Kumail Manji
Alhaj Mehboob Versi – Tanzania
Alhaj Mushtak Fazal – Tanzania
Alhaj Sultan Molu – Kenya
Alhaj Ebrahim Jaffer – Kenya
Alhaj Ebrahim Kassam – Uganda
Alhaj Mohamedraza Manji – Uganda
Alhaj Gulam Khaku Mombasa
Alhaj Mohamed Lalji Dar-es-Salaam
S. A. Jaffer & Company Dar-es-Salaam
The AFED Secretariat extends its appreciation to the former Electoral Commissioner, Alhaj Mukhtar Assaria of Nairobi for his dedicated services, and congratulates Alhaj Gulam Khaku of Mombasa for being elected to the post of Electoral Commissioner for the term 2013- 2016. Our thanks go to Alhaj Hassan Ali M. Jaffer for conducting the election diligently.
Alhaj Amir Somji Arusha Alhaj Zulfikar Dewji Dar-es-Salaam
Alhaj Rizwan Peera Arusha Alhaj Amir Merali Mombasa
Alhaj Shabbir Virjee Arusha Alhaj Gulam Khaku Mombasa
Alhaj Mohamed Nathoo Dar-es-Salaam Alhaj Shafik Kanji Moshi
Alhaj Shabbir Kermalli Dar-es-Salaam Alhaj Feeroz Jagani Nairobi
A Youth Conference organized by the Africa Youth Network (AYN) was held simultaneously with the 25th Triennial Conference and was attended by 38 participants from Dar-es-Salaa, Bukoba, Madagascar, Mombasa, Nairobi and Tanga and was facilitated by Shabbirhussein Khalfan and Sameer Kermalli.
This Conference was ably facilitated by the Capacity Building Group (CBG) and participants of this Conference presented their Testimonials and Resolutions to the 74th Supreme Council Session.
The Chairman of Africa Federation assured the youths of his team’s full support to them, his message will be carried in the AYN report of the Youth Conference.