The KSI Jamaat of Mombasa successfully hosted the 76th Supreme Council Session of the Africa Federation on 1st and 2nd May 2015 and The Forum – “The Evolution of Mindset” on 3rd May 2015.
Both the Sessions were attended by about 120 participants; they were from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Madagascar, Reunion, Tanzania, Uganda, and the U.K. Also present was the World Federation President, Dr. Asgarali Moledina.
The Opening of the 76th Supreme Council Session was held on Friday Morning 1st May 2015 and commenced with the recitation of verses from the Holy Qur’an. Alhaj Shaffiq Molu, Convener of the Organizing Committee then delivered his opening address followed by brief introduction by all participants present.
The Chairman of Mombasa Jamaat, Alhaj Sajjad Rashid delivered his welcome address after which the Chairman of the Africa Federation, Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi presented his Keynote address followed by an address by the President of the World Federation, Alhaj Dr. Asgarali Moledina.
Alhaj Navazaly Molou, Chairman of Conseil Régional Des Khojas Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamates De L.Océan Indien (CROI) and Alhaj Amine Nassor Chairman of the Union Des Associations Khodjas Shia Isnashri De La Reunion (UAKSIR) delivered their addresses with brief reports of the activities being carried out by their respective Territorial Councils in Madagascar and Reunion.
PRESENTATIONS AND AWARDS:
The Chairman, Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi presented Murrabi Anvarali Somji of Moshi and Murrabi Gulamabbas Dharsee of Dar-es-Salaam with the Chairman’s Appreciation Award in appreciation and recognition of their dedication, guidance and consistent participation in the Supreme Council Sessions and Conferences of the Africa Federation for several decades.
The Chairman, Alhaj Anwarali Dharamsi bestowed Medals to four prominent members of the community in recognition of their honorary and selfless services to the community and humanity at large. Citations for each of the recipients were read out giving a brief chronicle of their remarkable achievements, services and contributions. They are:
- Marhum Alhaj Jaf’ar Tijani (Posthumous) Dar-es-Salaam Husseini Medal
- Alhaj Abbas H M Nasser Mombasa Husseini Medal
- Alhaj Husseinali Khaki Mombasa Abbas Medal
- Alhaj Nishathusein Karim Mombasa Abbasi Medal
Sportsman of the Year 2014
The Sports Council declared the following as Sportsman and Sportswoman for the year 2014:
- Sportsman for the year: Ali Shariff of Dar-es-Salaam
- Sportswoman for the year: Faiza Somji of Arusha
AFWB Essay and Quiz Competition
The Women Board declared the following as the Winners for the Competitions:
- Essay Competition: Latifa Bhimani of Tanga
- Quiz Competition: Rayhana Molu of Mombasa
76th SUPREME COUNCIL SESSION OF THE AFRICA FEDERATION:
The Session Agenda included the presentation and adoption of the Accounts, Minutes, Resolutions and the Board Reports for the year.
The Secretariat and the Boards presented reports for the year May 2014 – March 2015. Questions from the Councillors were responded by the presenters. Similarly, comments and recommendations were taken down.
Details of the reports were sent out electronically to the Councillors and each participant was provided with a folder containing the annual reports, as under:-
- Secretariat and Archives Section – Aunali Khalfan
- Capacity Building Group (CBG) – Mumtaz Ladak
- Resolutions from the Secretariat – Kumail Manji
- Update on the Recommendations from the Forum 2014 – Kumail Manji
- Audited Accounts, Budgets and Trust Board Report – Mohamed Hemani
- Tabligh Board (AFTAB) – Seyed Hassan Naqvi
- Economic and Housing Development – Akil Hirji
- Women’s Board – Sister Fatim Somji
- Sports Council – Mahmood Somji
- Education Board (EB) and MAMAS – Samir Habib
- Editorial Board –Munir Daya
- Central Health Board (CHB) – Farhan Yusuf
- Central Bilal Board (CBB) – Mohsin A. Lalji
- Regional Bilal Muslim Missions – Asim Morvi/Mujtaba Peera/Amir Ahmed
- Africa Youth Network (AYN) – Muntazir Meghji
The following Resolutions from the AFED Secretariat presented at the Session:
- Term of Office of a President of the Constituent Jamaat under AFED.
- Dwindling membership of AFED Jamaats and Properties.
- Removal of the Guarantors for Education Loan.
- Election of the Ladies and Membership.
The following Resolution from a Councillor was presented during the Session:
- Political/Legal Landscape
Resolutions and The Forum:
The Secretariat will shortly issue detailed reports on the Resolutions and on the Forum to keep members well informed on these important matters.
We are very grateful to the KSI Jamaat of Mombasa for hosting the 76th Supreme Council Session, the Organizing Committee, Volunteers and all those who assisted in the successful organization of the Session.
Also, our deep appreciation to the Madagascar and Reunion Territorial Councils, Chairmen and Presidents of the Constituent Jamaats of Africa Federation, AFED Boards Chairmen and Members of the Boards, Nominated Councillors and Councillors from different Jamaats, AFED Trustees, and Invitees for their attendance, participation and fruitful and important contributions during the deliberations of the Session.